Thursday 11 October 2018

Day 26

Hey!!
How do I start today? Inhave two- three thoughts going on in my mind for the past few days and I am thinking about talking it all. Not everything in this post, but in the days to come as well.
So, it all happened when I was working with ABP news channel. I was assigned reporting. I use to go everyday along with one cameraman, driver and camera equipment, to the field. This one day I was assigned with some story but I had to go with another cameraman, not the one I had come with to the field that day. Some mis-communication happened and this new cameraman did not bother informing me about his where abouts and about his assignment with me. When I got to know, i informed my senior that so and so happened. So, this cameraman got angry and when he met me in the evening few days later, he threatened me indirectly. He said soemthing like I carry a gun and can use it anytime I want and some other shit stuff. 
I did not know what to do about it. I informed my reporting head and she called him up and gave him a good shouting, he never dared to talk to me again. 

But the point which I want to make is I was working there for the  past 4 months and I was not aware of my rights as an employee. Luckily my boss was a lady and she made it a point that the particular cameraman never misbehaves again. I was never assigned with that cameraman again. Yesterday I was reading about the origin of ‘Me too’ campaign and the ongoing seige in bollywood. Plus an article was there on Sexual harrasment at workplace act. All I know is while I was on job, I was not aware of this act or how and when I could use it. What are the situations when I am expected to complaint so that unusual behavior liket this happens. And, what according to them is the defintion of sexual harrasment? Being a journalist, I was not aware of anything, and I expect there would be millions, who do not know iota about this act? Then what is the point of enacting such lawss when people are not aware about it or would never know how to use them. My office gave me and internahip every work detail and every department but they did not have any orientation class or anything even near to that on my rights as a employee, on this act or anything which would make me feel secure on a workplace. 
There is a huge need of not just talk but about awareness as well. 
Bye!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forced to be free

Currently, going through Rousseau’s discourse on Political Economy, and his work called the Social Contract. He is confusing me a lot. ...