Thursday 10 January 2019

Day -50 What do we really desire in Life?

Last night I was about to sleep and in those last ten minutes a thought came, which I have not been able to ignore. The thing is I was thinking of going for PhD and I was very excited about it. And then this thought came when i was not even thinking about all this. It was somehting like, okay, I take admission, I start doing it, and then what? Another 5 years of pleasing someone, trying to meet some deadlines and submissions. What then? Even if I had a job or I start working, it will also involve the same things. Going for the job at fixed timings, flattering your seniors (not flatter them, but cannot be rude to them even if we do not like them). What will all this give?
And then, today morning I attened my first class of this semester. The topic revolved around Aristotle's understanding of happiness. He had divided goods (things which we want to achieve in life into three categories: sub-servient goods, subordinate goods and ultimate goods). So i did kind of gathered that money being the sub-servient good has to be achieved first and then you can go onto other ones. There exists a heirarchy in these goods and I will have to go through the first two first, to reach the ultimate one. I do not know if he is correct or not but it did answer my worries for the meanwhile. So I am kind of glad that I attended this lecture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forced to be free

Currently, going through Rousseau’s discourse on Political Economy, and his work called the Social Contract. He is confusing me a lot. ...