Sunday 11 August 2019

Day -72 When can we start talking noramlly about periods?

I was attending my Language class which I had recently joined. In between the class I started getting cramps and I went to the washroom. I had gotten my periods and I was not carrying any sanitary napkin with me. I could have waited for the class to get over but my blood pressure dropped down and I started feeling dizzy. I went to the reception to rest for a while. I thought  it would be better to ask around for a napkin. I went to the lady sitting at the reception and asked her for a sanitary napkin.

First thing she asked me was can you wait till the end of the class? I said no, I cannot wait. Then she said will cotton work? I said if there is no option I can go out and buy some. Then after a pause of 15 to 20 seconds, she almost whispered to me and asked me that how will you carry it? I said in my hand. She said no I cannot give it like this. Then I asked her to put it in my notebook which was with me. She said okay. She took the notebook and covered her handbag with it . Then from one side she opened the zip of her purse and cleverly pushed the napkin into the half opened notebook. Then she returned the notebook to me like nothing happened. 

I was shocked. This coming from an educated lady was a blunder. I remember even in school and at home we were taught to not to talk openly about periods. Over the years I had gotten over this thing. I was not embarassed talking about my periods anymore. And I thought even the world had changed and people like me would not think of it as something exceptional. But  I was wrong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forced to be free

Currently, going through Rousseau’s discourse on Political Economy, and his work called the Social Contract. He is confusing me a lot. ...