Monday 24 August 2015

‘The Truman Show’— one smile which I will never forget


 A man so naïve, gorgeous and funny in his own way blew my heart away with his one innocent smile in this truly amazing movie. I have never seen something so interesting, disturbing and humorous at the same time.My devotion to this crazy star, Jim Carrey started the day I sat down to watch his movie with a friend during my IIMC days. We had exams coming up and this was the day everyone was out partying so even we ordered pizzas, it being our only option to food and snacks. I wanted to watch a movie which was set in modern times and not in 80s and 90s but on my friend’s insistence who loved to experiment with his movie choices, we decided on ‘The Truman Show’. I hated him then but I am glad he made me watch it that day.First ten minutes I was dying of boredom because I didn’t concentrate. And then the magic of Truman started to absorb me, there and then I realized something is fishy behind those regular routines and awesome looking backgrounds.Yes, I was not wrong everything was a set up to accommodate this TV reality star Truman Burbank. He had no idea that from his birth to his present he never had a real life in fact his destiny was in his audiences' hand rather than his own. It was a true example of world as a force conspiring against one childlike soul.And that godly smile on his face, he flashed it in every other second without even realizing that not only his wife, best friend and close ones but his own mother was also, a part of this heinous plot.How you will feel, if you realize that the life you lived all this while was a stage setup? Even the stuff he ate was some sort of product advertisement. All the people he met in his daily routine were some stage actors. Man, I feel so bad when I see him making love to a lady who has taken vows with him but in reality she is just playing the part of an onscreen wife. The whole neighborhood and also the whole city is playing its part to hide this reality of his life so that their source of entertainment doesn’t escape. This movie made me realize how cruel this world can get and in the end it is all money that matters.
As we watched it online and I missed the last 20 minutes of the movie, which were not available anywhere on internet. I am still not aware of what happened next and how those nasty people made up for messing up his life. But without even going to the end, I can say that it was the most beautiful thing and the most exotic smile, I have ever come across.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forced to be free

Currently, going through Rousseau’s discourse on Political Economy, and his work called the Social Contract. He is confusing me a lot. ...